[Eeglablist] Coherence analysis on ICA components

Agatha Lenartowicz alenarto at ucla.edu
Tue Mar 6 18:24:16 PST 2012

Dear Susann.  The coherence bit seems like you have some feedback on.  However note that how you combine ICs is not trivial.  Imagine you have 4 occipital components: left, right, dorsal and ventral topography. You want to combine them bc they all show similar alpha responses.  One approach is to average the time series. Another - that you propose - is to average the mixing weights and retrieve new activations.  In my example an average of the mixing weights would place the topography centrally -- where none of the original had weighted.  So my new activations would be weighted heavily by locations that weakly contributed to the uncombined ICs.  This is all to say - keep an eye on what your combining is doing to your data.  I've struggled with this - have no clear solution - but am favoring very simple averaging where a single best IC is not available. Agatha

Sent from my phone.