[Eeglablist] Coherence analysis on ICA components

Tim Mullen mullen.tim at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 10:50:02 PST 2012

Susann et al,

You may wish to use EEGLAB's SIFT plugin to perform multivariate
(partial) coherence and/or Granger causal analysis on your
ICA-decomposed EEGLAB datasets via multivariate autoregressive model
fitting:

http://sccn.ucsd.edu/wiki/SIFT

There is support for a wide variety of multivariate (and pairwise)
coherence/GC measures (here is a partial listing:
http://sccn.ucsd.edu/wiki/Chapter_4.3._A_partial_list_of_VAR-based_spectral,_coherence_and_GC_estimators)
as well as model validation, significance testing, and visualization.
Soon we'll be adding a module for group-level connectivity inference
via hierarchical bayesian modeling. Performing bivariate coherence or
bivariate granger-causal analysis on multivariate neuronal time series
should be treated with caution due to the potentially high false
positive rate as a consequence of common and mediated causes within a
moderately connected neuronal network. As such, it's often preferable
to adopt a multivariate modeling approach whenever possible.

Since SIFT is integrated with EEGLAB as a plugin, you can operate
naturally on EEGLAB datasets without requiring any import/export to
third-party toolboxes.

Good luck,

Tim Mullen

Institute for Neural Computation