[Eeglablist] Decimation prior to ICA and related things

Baris Demiral demiral.007 at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 18 18:15:28 PDT 2012

Of course, if you have two conditions each 40 trials, 2 seconds long,
and recorded with 64 channel, 512Hz sampling rate, -and assuming you
concatenate the condition epochs- and run ICA on those epochs, in the
most optimistic case you hardly reach k=(80*512*2)/64*64=20.

This again comes to the point of applying ICA on epoched versus
continuous data. I assume (I bet) that for the cognitive ICs,
condition epoched data will be more accurate, at least yielding to
better cognitive/condition/event relevant ICs. As soon as you have
clean epochs, with enough length (good sampling rate) you may get good
ICs. I think increasing sampling rate would be a better thing to do
rather than increasing the epoch length but you can do both.

Baris