[Eeglablist] phase shift-free Butterworth filter

Ronald Phlypo Ronald.Phlypo at ugent.be
Sun Apr 1 00:40:42 PDT 2012

Dear Jutta,

the most straightforward way to implement phase shift-free filtering is
to use a symmetric (non-causal or time-shift) filter, this can be
obtained through the matlab function "filtfilt" which uses the same
arguments as the regular "filter" function. Though, you need to be aware
that this function doubles the filter order (one regular filtering and
one time-reversed filtering is needed to construct the symmetry) and
that the filter is no longer causal (due to the time reversal).

Hope this helps,

Ronald