[Eeglablist] Methodological question on connectivity

Jeff Cromwell jeffcromwell at msn.com
Sat May 5 05:39:46 PDT 2012

Hi Ryan and Marco, It has more to do with the underlying probability density function for the data at each frequency as well as nonstationarity. If you have normality and stationarity, you can have linearity in the first and second conditional moments which is the foundation for Granger's test and you are off and running--choosing the size of the window is a seminal problem in both the time and frequency domain--just use several and go with a measure of robustness.   The first question is the empirical PDF at each frequency and maybe you can transform the data to get normality and stationarity.  This has been the standard practice since 1970. Otherwise, linearity with third and perhaps fourth (kurtosis) conditional moment moments like the finance literature with GARCH or use a nonlinear functional form for the causality test.   This requires a theory of brain dynamics at different frequencies...Hmmm. Remember brain modeling at different frequencies is the same as stock price modeling at different intervals, i.e. hourly, daily, month, quarter, etc.  That research will provide more insight than the neuroscience literature which is just now using 20 year old techniques and it might help with your investments.  :-) The main question is what conditional moment is of interest here that will provide the most predictive power.  It could be the third-Skewness.
Thanks,
Jeff B. Cromwell, PhD www.thecromwellworkshop.com