[Eeglablist] Question regarding fastICA

Ewa Beldzik ewa.beldzik at gmail.com
Fri May 11 04:21:45 PDT 2012

Dear Mokoto,

Thank you for the interest. I'm not sure if I can enclose the plots here so
I'm gonna use min and max values as a reconstruction criteria.
I have a data x (matrix size 4x1024; ranging <-*3.882;2,466*>)

When I apply following command line in matlab:
*[icasig,A,W]=fastica(x,'numOfIC',4)*
and when I reconstruct x with the formula:
*x4=A*icasig*
I get x4 (matrix size 4x1024; ranging <-*3.882;2,466*>) which presents the
exact plot as x.

Now, when I apply following command line in matlab:
* [icasig2,A2,W2]=fastica(x,'numOfIC',3)*
and then I reconstruct x with:
* x3=A2*icasig2*
I get x3 (matrix size 4x1024; ranging <*-4.453;2,469*>) which presents far
more noise plots then x.

I'm not sure whether I'm not doing something wrong. But if the algorithm
works this way why is it so?

Best regards,
Ewa