[Eeglablist] Question regarding fastICA

Jason Palmer japalmer29 at gmail.com
Fri May 11 15:43:26 PDT 2012

Hi Ewa,

I don't think there is actually a problem . Your 4x1000 data is most likely
full rank (covariance matrix has 4 significant eigenvalues), so it needs 4
components (or dimensions in the basis set) to represent the data without
error. With only 3 components, you get an approximation of the data, where
one direction is not represented. This may or may not correspond to the
smallest dimension of the data (the smallest eigenvalue/eigenvector) since
ICA tries to find independent directions, not necessarily the largest
variance (like PCA does).

So you would expect the reconstructed 4 dimensional data using 3 components
to be different from the original data.

Best,

Jason