[Eeglablist] Using ICA with EEG, ECG and EOG.

Alois Schloegl alois.schloegl at ist.ac.at
Thu May 17 23:36:42 PDT 2012

Hi Dario,

if you want to do a fully automated EOG/ECG correction, you can use
REGRESS_EOG.M from biosig/t250 (I guess it comes with eeglab). In my
experience, regression will work better than fully automated ICA (for
details see [1]).

It works this way:
   [s,HDR]=sload(filename);
   [M,N]=size(s);

   eocg = sparse(N,3);
   eocg(#H+,1)=1; 	% replace #H with the number of your H++ channel)
   eocg(#H-,1)=-1; %
   eocg(#V+,2)=1;
   eocg(#V-,2)=-1;
   eocg(#EKG+,3)=1;
   eocg(#EKG-,3)=-1;

A fully automated identification of these channels is needed to automate
that step. The function identify_eog_channels() is trying to do this,
but because of a lack of standardization it's likely it won't work
correctly. Though, You might want to adapt it to your data.

   eegchan = [... ]; % list of your EEG channels
   R = regress_eog(s, eegchan, eocg);
   s_corr = s*R.s0; 	% corrected eeg channels

A view remarks:

- You can expect the best performance when R = regress_eog(..) is
computed from a data segment with large EOG and EKG artifacts (ask the
subject to perform different eye movements at the beginning of the
recording).

- ECG has 3 spatial components, but only one is removed. Therefore, you
can expect only a limited performance on the ECG artifact.

- if the function identify_eog_channels() works properly on your data,
the method can be fully automated. See also
    help regress_eog
    help identify_eog_channels
    help get_regress_eog
    help sload