[Eeglablist] epoch baseline removal experience?

Matthew Stief ms2272 at cornell.edu
Wed May 23 18:59:32 PDT 2012

If you remove major artifacts then there is the possibility that the
resulting uninterrupted periods will be rather small.  In EEGLAB it seems
there is a minimum time period that it will do a high pass filter on.  So
then you won't be able to do high pass filtering on data that has
previously had artifacts rejected in it.  Does anyone know what exactly
this minimum time length is, and does anyone have suggestions for how to
try out Scott's suggestion without running into it?

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 11:09 PM, Scott Makeig <smakeig at gmail.com> wrote:

> Even whole-epoch baseline removal is not ideal.  It is better to
> zero-baseline the data after major artifact-period removal but before
> epoching (and, typically, high-pass filtering above ~1 Hz). Only then
> extract epochs for ICA decomposition (IF you do not want to decompose the
> continuous data -- our more typical procedure). After ICA decomposition,
> data epochs can be individually baseline-zeroed without affecting the ICA
> account of them.
>
> Scott
>
> On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 12:31 PM, Makoto Miyakoshi <mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu>wrote:
>
>> Dear Ida and Scott,
>>
>> > As I understood, the purpose of Baseline Removal is for me/us to have
>> > better insight when event in observed epoch happened, so the value
>> around
>> > corresponding marker is expected to be zero. Right?
>>
>> That sounds right, although I may not understand you perfectly.
>> ERP show up usually after the event (unless it is expectation-related
>> nature), so it makes sense to set the baseline period before stimulus
>> onset during which brain activity is supposed to be neutral, and
>> whatever ERP can be compared against it.
>>
>> > I have one more question regarding this - does it matter if I Remove
>> > Baseline for example (-1000ms to 0ms) if I have epoch that is longer (-4
>> > secs to 4 secs)? I read in Q&A list Arno's answer regarding similar
>> question
>> > where he said that ICA can be unstable if the epochs baseline is too
>> short,
>> > so he suggests longer baselines (i.e 1 sec).
>>
>> Although I don't know what Arno meant in that specific context, I
>> guess he was probably referring to the finding reported by Groppe,
>> Makeig, and Kutas (2009). In the paper, the authors reports
>> whole-epoch baseline produced better ICA results compared to short
>> pre-stimulus baseline. Therefore, for ICA purpose, it's even better to
>> use an entire epoch for a baseline. The authors says 'It is not clear
>> what causes this difference.' in the paper (pp.1208), though I heard
>> Scott say a brief explanation. What do you think, Scott?
>>
>> Makoto
>>

>> 2012/5/10 ida miokovic <ida.miokovic at gmail.com>:
>> > Dear Makoto,
>> >
>> > thank you for your answer, it cleared the doubts in my head regarding
>> this
>> > =). As I understood, the purpose of Baseline Removal is for me/us to
>> have
>> > better insight when event in observed epoch happened, so the value
>> around
>> > corresponding marker is expected to be zero. Right?
>> >
>> > I have one more question regarding this - does it matter if I Remove
>> > Baseline for example (-1000ms to 0ms) if I have epoch that is longer (-4
>> > secs to 4 secs)? I read in Q&A list Arno's answer regarding similar
>> question
>> > where he said that ICA can be unstable if the epochs baseline is too
>> short,
> [...]

Matthew Stief
Human Development | Sex & Gender Lab | Cornell University
http://www.human.cornell.edu/HD/sexgender

Heterosexuality isn't normal, it's just common.
-Dorothy Parker