[Eeglablist] How should I interpret this strange component?

Yuan-fang Chou distancejay at gmail.com
Thu May 24 09:05:19 PDT 2012

Dear Makoto,

I checked my raw data and found that there is significant large power in
about 0.5 Hz,just as shown in the link below.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/24fhfxcnqyvqyuc/raw_rythm.jpg
then I high-pass filtered at 1 Hz,the resulted power-spectra plot showed
that although frequency below 1 Hz was well attenuated, the power remained
significant in 1~1.5 Hz,which became the largest power in the spectra after
filter done.,just as shown in the link below.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/u66n4qu43ww4mfo/1Hzfiltered.jpg
So I think such a filter-left 1 Hz activity is the cause of  the 1 Hz
component in my ICA decomposition.And such a 1 Hz component seems to do
harm to my other components,just as shown in the links below:This is a
comparatively "good" component,but as you can see from the picture,the
baseline before 0 time point shows a slight 1 Hz activity,which makes the
baseline looks uneven.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/woaacj0426jjqel/good_component.jpg
So,I have 2 questions about it:
1. The slow rhythms,such as 1 Hz,seems to do harm to ICA decomposition.If
so,what's the reason behind this?Is it  because slow rhythms
 increase non-stationarity?
2.What can I do to resolve such a problem I met?

Thank you very much!