[Eeglablist] choice of reference

Stephen Politzer-Ahles politzerahless at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 17:53:24 PDT 2012

Hi Angel,

Steve Luck's book *An Introduction to the Event-related potentials method *has
a lot of information on references and the consequences of  the reference
you choose. A common issue with average reference is that it's best when
you have a high-density cap with many channels, so it may not be a good
reference to use with a 19-channel dataset. (I don't know if the amount of
noise matters particularly for reference, but I don't have any experience
myself using average reference--since I've only worked with low-density
caps, I've never had a chance to use average reference).

Best,
Steve

On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 11:36 AM, Angel Tabullo <angeltabullo at yahoo.com>wrote:

> Hello everyone! I wanted to ask if there's an advantage in using average
> reference over linked mastoids or earlobes when you are working with 19
> channels and considerable levels of noise. Furthermore: can reference
> affect the SNR of an ERP?
>
> Thanks again for your attention and patience.
>
> Angel Tabullo

Stephen Politzer-Ahles
University of Kansas
Linguistics Department