[Eeglablist] Downsizing Number of Electrodes

Marco Montalto montaltomarco at onvol.net
Sat Jun 23 07:46:55 PDT 2012

Dear List,

I have what most probably is a really banal question but which I thought I should gather advise from the experts regarding the issue before committing myself to a decision. I am collecting data from 32 electrodes. Now at the final stages I might want to use data from only 10 of those electrodes for statistical analysis. From your experience do you think running the entire data processing procedure on the 32 electrodes and then running statistical analysis on only 10 of those electrodes would be a problem? I envisage that working on 10 electrodes only from the very start would require much less work but I don't mind the added task. My concern is whether the data would look different in the two scenarios i.e. working on 32 electrodes, would, let's say, data from electrode Cz look different from data from electrode Cz obtained from working with, initially, 10 electrodes only?

Looking forward to your replies.

Thanks and regards,
Marco