[Eeglablist] Problem with channel detection in Run ICA

James Desjardins jdesjardins at brocku.ca
Wed Jun 27 07:22:34 PDT 2012

Yes, now that I am using sensitive measures for identifying linked
sites I am finding that in dense array EEG it is more common than I
had hoped. I think that the linking of scalp sites could also relate
to the interesting phenomenon that Jan initially mentioned:

"... the channels that are not displayed in the channel selection
dialog before running the ICA is not systematic, once it was for example the
EEG channel F5, once the EEG channel P7."

In the case of a pair of linked channels, the selection of which site
is accused of being rank deficient is arbitrary. For example, if sites
F3 and F5 are linked and sites P7 and P5 are linked, it makes sense to
me that in one run you could find that F3 and P7 are deemed rank
deficient, then on a second run of the identical data set find that
sites F5 and P5 are deemed rank deficient.

Of course... this could not account for Jan's exact example without a
very "fancy" (and unlikely) bridge between sites F5 and P7.