[Eeglablist] My Experiences with Rank Problem

Scott Makeig smakeig at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 11:52:56 PDT 2012

there was a major problem with the Matlab rank() function in some specific
early versions of Matlab 7...

in general, since ICA is an interative computation (the output of one step
being the input to the next step), it should *only* be run at double
precision.

scott makeig

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 5:27 PM, Makoto Miyakoshi <mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu>wrote:

> Dear Marco and Arno,
>
> Thank you. This is interesting. I think this should be reported to Arno.
>
> Makoto
>
> 2012/6/28 Marco Montalto <montaltomarco at onvol.net>:
> > Dear Makoto,
> >
> > I would like to share my experiences regarding the issue reported lately
> in a post by Jan Remi. There seems to be some bug somewhere. I have a data
> file: on a Windows 7 PC it asks to adjust the rank from 16 to 15 (I have 16
> channels) but on a MacBook Pro running OS X Lion it finds no problem with
> rank. The data file is exactly the same for both attempts. If I choose
> double precision on the PC, the problem with rank disappears.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Marco
>

> --
> Makoto Miyakoshi
> JSPS Postdoctral Fellow for Research Abroad

Scott Makeig, Research Scientist and Director, Swartz Center for
Computational Neuroscience, Institute for Neural Computation; Prof. of
Neurosciences (Adj.), University of California San Diego, La Jolla CA
92093-0559, http://sccn.ucsd.edu/~scott