[Eeglablist] The parallel port - TRIGGERS

Arnaud Delorme arno at ucsd.edu
Thu Jul 12 20:48:51 PDT 2012

Dear Davide,

the ADR-100 (Ontrak Control Systems, Sudbury, Ontario, Canada) is what I would recommend. It is inexpensive ($99) and robust. It works on the serial port, but I use an usb to serial converter. A hint below that took me a long time to figure out. You will need to change the terminator to 13 so the card functions properly.

I have been able to address 2 of these cards simultaneously to sync EEG acquisition with other signal and was able to sync EEG down to almost ms precision (I did not try ms precision only 250 Hz and synchronization was perfect).
I have also used the measurement computing card under Matlab that Pat mentions and it works as well (but I think it is more expensive).

http://www.ontrak.net/products.htm#ADR100

Below, all the code you will need
port = 'COM5'; % change the port here
serialPort = serial(port, 'baudrate', 9600);
set(serialPort, 'terminator', 13);
fopen(serialPort);

fwrite(serialPort1, ['CPA00000000' char(13)]);
fwrite(serialPort1, ['SPA00000000' char(13)]);
fwrite(serialPort1, ['SPA00000001' char(13)]);
pause(0.05);
fwrite(serialPort1, ['SPA00000000' char(13)]);
disp('Testing - bytes sent to serial port 1!');

The card has 8 bit output. For example, if you want to send 255, you send 'SPA11111111'.