[Eeglablist] How do I export a file from a BioPac system into EEGlab?

James Desjardins jdesjardins at brocku.ca
Tue Jul 17 19:54:12 PDT 2012

Hi Neal

If you export the files from the BioPac in mat format, do you get memory errors if you load them directly into Matlab (  e.g. using >> dat=load('yourFileName.mat');  )?

If you export the data from the BioPac using .mat format and the Matlab "load" function does not produce memory errors try this...

... Save the following to an m file named "ImportBPMFormat.m" in the Matlab path.

function EEG = ImportBPMFormat(EEG, FileName, FilePath);

EEG.comments=sprintf('%s','Original file: ', FilePath, FileName);

fstruct=load(fullfile(FilePath,FileName));

EEG.data=fstruct.data';
EEG.srate=1000/fstruct.isi;
EEG.nbchan=size(EEG.data,1);
EEG.pnts=size(EEG.data,2);

for i=1:EEG.nbchan;
    EEG.chanlocs(i).labels=deblank(fstruct.labels(i,:));
end

...Then from the command line (after starting EEGLab) call:

EEG=ImportBPMFormat(EEG, 'yourFileName', 'yourPathName');
EEG=eeg_checkset(EEG);
eeglab redraw

... where yourFileName is the name of the file that you want to load and yourPathName is the path to the file.

If this does not work because of a memory error (or the Matlab "load" function alone generates a memory error) there are a few other things that can be explored.

James Desjardins, MA
Electrophysiology Technologist
Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience Lab, Psychology Department
Jack and Nora Centre for Lifespan Development Research
Brock University
500 Glenridge Ave.
St. Catharines, ON, Canada L2S 3A1
905-688-5550 x4676
--
"'Cause you never can tell What goes on down below!
"This pool might be bigger Than you or I know!"

McElligot's Pool
Dr.Seuss 1947