[Eeglablist] causal bandpassfilter with very low cutoff

Andreas Widmann widmann at uni-leipzig.de
Fri Aug 10 04:33:53 PDT 2012

Hi,

I also would strongly prefer linear phase FIR for any kind of non-causal filtering.

I'm lacking serious first hand experience with minimum-phase FIR filters for causal filtering. Interesting to hear that you would prefer over IIR for causal filtering. Will try out. I used IIR for causal filtering so far for reasons of comparability as it is implemented in so many other electrophysiology software packages and because I like the dB/octave property.

@Davide
FIR filters must have a (anti-)symmetric impulse response to have linear phase. Minimum phase FIR filters have an asymmetric impulse response.

@Clemens
I will send a MATLAB example when I'm back from holiday end of August. If I remember correctly the filtfilt 'reflection' algorithm even increases the DC artifact at the ends of the signal but I have to re-check whether this is valid in general. Without filtfilt one can completely avoid the DC artifact by padding the data with the DC constant.

Best,
Andreas