[Eeglablist] Plotting frequency average by channel

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Wed Aug 29 11:50:11 PDT 2012

Dear Zach,

I assume you mean average power/amplitude of frequencies. I don't
think there is any GUI supported way to do this, so you have to write
a code. The code should be something like this.

1. Filter the data (e.g. 8-13 Hz bandpass)
2. Hilbert transform, namely EEG.data = abs(hilbert(EEG.data));
3. Calculate the mean of the period, namely tmp = mean(EEG.data(:,
t1:t2, :)); where t1 and t2 are start and end of your specified
period.
4. topoplot(tmp, EEG.chanlocs);

The process 1 and 2 could be replaced with wavelet transform
(newtimef) which you may want to try too. I don't know which method
produces better results.

If you have more questions, please let us know.

Makoto

2012/8/28 Zach Sheffler <zach.sheffler at ttiltd.net>:
> Hello -
>
> I am looking to plot the average frequency over some specified period by
> epoch (e.g., from time 0 to time +500ms) for all channels on a map.
> Unfortunately, consulting the EEGLab wiki hasn't been much help. Is this
> possible, and if so, what is the method that would make this possible?
>
> Thanks kindly for any assistance.

JSPS Postdoctral Fellow for Research Abroad