[Eeglablist] A question on semi-automatic detection on continuous data

Tarik S Bel-Bahar tarikbelbahar at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 15:56:52 PDT 2012

Hello Eve,

Until you find the tools in question in BCIlab,

One way to do this is as follows, let the list know if you have success
with these simple steps.

1. Prepare your data (filtering, re-referencing, bad channel dropping,
etc...)
up to the point that you are ready to remove "artifactual time periods".

2. use eeg_regepochs to make a series of "fake" contiguous epochs,
choosing an epoch size of your choice (.5 or 1 second).

3. run the epoch rejection tool of choice within eeglab, which will lead
to the dropping of some subset of the fake epochs from step 2.
 [you may have to try several different methods,
and determine what works best for your data]

4. if you are happy with retained epochs
run ICA on this newly cleaned set of fake contiguous epochs.
Note that you need to feed ICA enough data, and preferably
only periods of time when the cognitive activity in question was occurring.
for example, don't include the minutes of data when nothing was going on,
or "in between" your experimental blocks.

5. Now, if you are happy with the ICA decomposition you get
apply your ICA decomposition to the continuous file
just before step 2 above.

6. At this point, you can make your "real" epochs based on
your true events, and again drop the artifactual epochs.
(for example, the epochs that have extreme values).
...and you should be able to move forward.

7. Note if you use AMICA from Jason Palmer,
it is possible for AMICA to discount artifactual periods via the
"do_reject" flag.

Note: almost any method to remove artifactual periods from continuous data
will necessitate making "windows" within which the artifact detection
method.
If you can learn to do it on your own, you could make fake epochs
via your own scripts, and then rejoin all the remaining epochs.