[Eeglablist] Artefact rejection using ADJUST

Tarik S Bel-Bahar tarikbelbahar at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 08:40:01 PDT 2012

Some quick thoughts below, Katherine, good luck with your process (and
processing).

There are costs and benefits to using any method.
Do not complicate things, keep things simple so you can learn effectively
and build up our personal ERP/EEG expertise.

If you have not, read books such as Luck's or Handy's ERP handbooks (both
pre-2010)
If you have not, take a look through a hardcopy EEG atlas.
If you have not, read 20 to 50 ERP and EEG articles in your area of choice.
[From these you will learn what your basic patterns should look like]
Then move forward with your "first study". In fact, I would say do not even
collect data till you have done each of the above.

If this is your first study, I think the best recommendation is that
learn to identify clean and artifactual data by eye.
However it will take more than one study to make you an expert.
It is important to build up your own personal expertise.
So to begin with I recommend reading 20 articles that use the
same or nearly the same method/protocol as you are using.
Then your eye will be a bit more trained regarding what to expect
as an ERP or EEG pattern from your protocol.
Another thing you can do to train yourself up
is to download the multiple "sample data sets" available for EEGLAB
or other programs, and learn to find and detect artifactual data therein,
through manual, semi-automated, and automated methods.

Keep aware and communicative with other users, such as Eve Alotof,
who has been asking about artifact detection recently on eeglablist.
See Simon's note about an eeglab plugin that combines adjust and another
method.
Etc....

Last, search for an EEG/ERP expert at University of Reading or UCL,
and ask for their kind mentorship regarding these issues.

If you depend on automated methods,