[Eeglablist] File editing and epoching

Elia Valentini elia.valentini at uniroma1.it
Mon Oct 1 23:56:13 PDT 2012

Dear Tarik,

On 2 October 2012 06:52, Tarik S Bel-Bahar <tarikbelbahar at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Ella,
>
> Just a few quick comments, hope these comments help, good luck with the
> process, and let the list know of your success.
>
> 1. if boundaries are added because of rejection of artifactual periods,
> you probably want to keep them in.
> If you are trying to get all the epochs out, and then you will reject some
> of them, then see point #2.
>
> 2. If you use the "cleaned" data with "extra boundaries due to cleaning"
> to generate ICA,
> then you should then apply the IC weights to your pre-ICA continuous data
> (as long it has the same number of channels as the file that went into the
> ICA)

 My ICA-cleaned data was processed without extracephalic electrodes (my
impression is that without those electrodes I obtain a better
decomposition). This would imply to either re-run ICA with these electrodes
or exclude them from the pre-ICA continuous data.

2.5. see some recent discussions on the list on topics of ICA and cleaning
> ( in the last month).
>
> OK

> 3. In your step #5 I assume you mean remove baseline of all channels, for
> continuous data.
>
> Yes I do

> 4. keep in mind that you don't have to reject components if you focus on
> analyzing the ICs.
>
> I would prefer to keep my data analysis approach as similar as possible
with the literature for the time being, but I see the opportunity of
focusing on ICs rather than on the original data.

> 5. adding markers/labels can be automated by simple scripts.
>
> OK

> 6. Some of your points are not exactly clear, but, it seems you are going
> in the right direction.
> Most of what you believe can be automated can very certainly easily be
> automated by script.
>
> Let the list know with followup specific questions when you are ready. Be
> sure to provide good details
> so that helpers can best understand what you need and what you are trying
> to do.
>

> Thanks for replying. Sorry for not having been clear enough.

Best,

elia

--
Elia Valentini PhD

Social and Cognitive Neuroscience Laboratory - SCNLab
Sapienza University of Rome
Department of  Psychology
Via dei Marsi 78 - 00185 - Roma
Phone: (+39) 06-49917635