[Eeglablist] Coherence or Correlation among set of electrodes

Tim Mullen mullen.tim at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 19:10:25 PDT 2012

Iman,

The most reasonable answer to your question is to first perform source
reconstruction to isolate sources which project to multiple channels. Then
analyze the coherence between your sources.

If you are adamant about remaining in channel space, you might consider a
laplacian reference. Or you might perform separate PCA or ICA
decompositions of each group of channels and select the leading component
as a representative of each channel group, then estimate coherence between
component time-series. Another approach is to average the coherence for all
pairs of channels across the two groups. Just be aware that all of these
come with caveats and potential pitfalls (perhaps too numerous to detail at
length here).

- Tim