[Eeglablist] ICA unipolar or bipolar electrodes to remove muscle artefacts

Enrico Schulz enrico.schulz at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 04:45:16 PDT 2012

Dear ICA experts,

I have a question regarding the removal of muscle artefacts by means of
ICA. We bought 12 electrodes in addition to our 64 channels equipment.
We want to place these additional 12 electrodes around neck and jaw
muscles to specifically record and remove muscle artefacts.

My questions:
1. Do you have any recommendations (publications) where to put the
electrodes?
2. Would you recommend to record rather 6 bipolar channels or is it more
promising to use 12 unipolar channels against the fronto-central reference?

Thank you for your support!
Best regards,
Enrico