[Eeglablist] Grand Average

Steve Luck sjluck at ucdavis.edu
Tue Oct 23 11:24:04 PDT 2012

I agree with Steve Politzer-Ahles about this.  Giving some subjects more weight than others could lead to bizarre results, whereas differences in number of trials (and hence differences in measurement error) are likely to simply reduce statistical power (and only modestly in typical situations).

More generally, the idea of using a sample of subjects to estimate the parameters of a larger population would be greatly distorted by giving some subjects greater weight than others.

Steve Luck