[Eeglablist] has anyone used an actiCHamp and an ActiveTwo?

Baris Demiral demiral.007 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 20:10:48 PST 2012

Yes I have experience with both. Use BioSemi. Here is my reasoning:

I used full BioSemi Active2 system (cap+amplifier+LabView+response bix
etc.) Electrodes are easy to insert, small, easy to reduce impedance,
comfortable. You put the gel before the electrodes are placed.

I used BProduct Active electrodes with Neuroscan amplifier+electrode box.
Electrodes are very large, not easy to place the elctrodes on the cap,
subjects feel discomfort. In order to reduce this effect you may need to
place the electordes on the manican before you put it on the subject which
is weird. Since you will have 128 electrodes !! Also, you ned to insert the
gel after you put the electrodes through a small opening, which makes
impedance reduction relatively hard to obtain.
Kinking problem is likely to occur due to the difficulty of placing the
electrodes.

Buy BioSemi. even 64 channel is fine for many applications and source
localization. 128 too much and not very necessary (read some papers related
to source localization, you will notice that after 60 channels quality does
not change much). Kinking proble is likely to occur due to the orientation
of the cable placed initially in the beginning.

Feel free to call me if you need further help. But, I would suggest (if you
are going to pay a lot of money in this business) go and observe the
systems in the labs live.
Baris

On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 11:42 AM, Jason M Cowell <cowell at uchicago.edu> wrote:

>  Hello,****
>
> ** **
>
> Our lab is presently in the process of acquiring several active 128-
> electrode systems. Does anyone have experience with both the Brain Products
> actiCHamp and the BioSemi ActiveTwo? We are comparing both and are
> interested in the quality of these data, particularly in noise issues. Are
> either of the systems more compatible with EEGLAB? Any help or experience,
> particularly using the actiCHamp would be greatly appreciated.****
>
> ** **
>
> Jason****
>
> ** **