[Eeglablist] Inter-Electrode Distance

Tim Mullen mullen.tim at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 03:23:35 PST 2012

Iman, let's clarify further: are you asking how to compute the *geodesic
distance* between two vertices on a mesh? i.e. you have a scalp mesh
segmented from a subject's MRI using Freesurfer or NFT or whatever, and you
want to know the distance between two vertices along the mesh, each of
which is the nearest point on the mesh to a given electrode location?

Obviously elec_distance.m will not do this. But if this is your question,
you can find plenty of Matlab programs and tutorials for computing geodesic
distance on a mesh by googling "matlab geodesic distance mesh." Also, a
2-sec google search revealed that Freesurfer's mris_pmake() function will
return the inter-vertex distance on a mesh (tho' not exactly geodesic
distance) using Djikstra's algorithm:
https://mail.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/pipermail//freesurfer/2011-April/017978.html.(Ironically,
this was also a question that was re-posted several times
there). EEGLAB or NFT may have a function for this as well, but I don't
recall specifically.

You stated "there is +/- 4 cm difference between using spherical model and
real head on average".  There is a 4 cm difference in what? Co-registered
electrode locations? Inter-electrode distance? If the latter, how are you
calculating distance (given that this is the topic of your post)? And
of course, warped electrode locations (and thus electrode distance) may be
fairly different if you warp to a spherical model versus an MNI head model
versus using an individual subject's head model.

It seems like there are at least two separate issues here and it's not
clear which you're asking about: (1) how to best localize/co-register each
electrode to it's nearest point on the scalp surface (i.e. vertices of a
suitable scalp mesh) or (2) how best to measure/approximate the distance
between two points on the scalp (i.e. mesh geodesic distance, shortest path
length (Dijkstra's algorithm), radial distance, euclidean distance, etc).

Other important factors: are your electrode locations digitized (e.g. using
a Polhemus digitizer) and co-registered to the individual subject head
model? Or are you assuming standard 10-5 (or whatever) locations and either
aligning/warping the electrode locations to the head model (e.g. EEGLAB's
coregister.m) or warping the head model to the electrode locations (e.g.
NFT's warping_main_function.m)? If you don't have digitized locations you
may easily have >>4 cm of error between assumed and true electrode
locations, which will propagate into any distance measurements,
irregardless of the distance metric you use.

Tim

--