[Eeglablist] ICA "adds" noise?

Kristina Borgström kristina.borgstrom at psychology.lu.se
Fri Dec 21 03:27:50 PST 2012

Dear Tarik,

I really appreciate your thorough reply and attempt to help! I have received several good suggestions here and will try some of the different approaches people have suggested.

I think the first thing I will check is to run the original vertex-referenced data throught the ICA, so that the data is still full rank. I will also try keeping the average mastoid ref but removing one of the channels during ICA. I will also try the average reference while taking into consideration the rank issue with that. The reason I have not gone with average reference from the beginning is that I want to compare with some other data that was mastoid-referenced.

To answer some of your questions: I am actually running Matlab v 10, so I don't think the software version is an issue.

I have only tried ICA on a few subjects so far, but this issue only appeared in 2 subjects, so it doesn't seem to be a general problem, although it's too early to know how widespread the problem is.

Regarding your points on cleaning the data before ICA, I have done both some automatic artifact detection, but also a complete visual check to throw out any extreme artifacts other than the ocular artifacts. So I'm pretty confident that I'm feeding the ICA with as much clean data as possible.I want to use the ICA primarily to correct the eye artifacts so I don't have to throw out those trials completely.

Thanks for all the tips on different ways to handle the number of channels to use. I will definitely try some different alternatives and compare the results.

I have considered using ICA for the main analysis as well as artifact correction, i think it's a matter of trying to see what works out the best. I definitely want to see what the actual ERP data looks like though.

I won't be able to work with this until after the Christmas holiday, but I will post an update to the eeglablist as soon as I've tried some new techniques to let you know they've worked!

Thanks to all who have gotten involved and contributed with valuable thoughts!

Best regards,
Kristina