[Eeglablist] ERPLAB filter

Steven J Luck sjluck at ucdavis.edu
Fri Dec 21 10:58:27 PST 2012

Dear HanGue,

I would suggest being very cautious about this approach.  Whenever a narrow passband filter is applied to a waveform, non-oscillating activity will be converted into oscillations.  The reason is that transient changes in voltage (e.g., a P3 waveform, sudden voltage shifts arising from movement artifacts, etc.) contain power across a wide range of frequencies, and filtering the data pulls out the low frequencies and turns them into oscillations.  For more information, see the chapter in filtering in my book on ERP methods (An Introduction to the Event-Related Potential Technique, MIT Press).  For a good example of the application of these ideas, see Yeung, N., Bogacz, R., Holroyd, C. B., Nieuwenhuis, S., & Cohen, J. D. (2007). Theta phase resetting and the error-related negativity. Psychophysiology, 44, 39-49.

In addition, skin potentials contain a lot of power at very low frequencies, and the oscillations you are seeing could be coming from the skin rather than from the brain (see the chapter on artifacts in my book).

Steve Luck