[Eeglablist] Questions about Kalman Filter

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Thu Mar 19 13:08:56 PDT 2015

Dear Ibtissem,

> knowing that the EEG signal is a non-periodic and non-stationary signal,
how can we apply there the Kalman filter?

The stationarity of EEG signal depends on the length of time window;
longer, more non-stationary (in principle). For example, in 24 hours you
sleep, wake up, work, rest... in 24 minutes, you maybe doing a single job
constantly... in 24 seconds you are in the middle of something... in 240
milliseconds your brain may be processing only a few ongoing events.

> From the AR matrix, how can we regain the starting signal (I used
 'filter' function under matlab but it does not give the desired result)?

I don't understand the question. I'm not qualified to answer it either
anyways.

> Finally, do you have an idea about the decomposition of the EEG signal in
Fourier series?

You mean something other than the coefficients of the Fourier series? :-)

Makoto