[Eeglablist] Huge alpha peaks in one person

Tarik S Bel-Bahar tarikbelbahar at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 06:49:46 PDT 2015

Greetings Eric, some thoughts that may be useful below. In your case the
best solution might be to compare the data across several different kinds
of pre-processing steps, and show that the giant single-person peak is an
artifact or not. It may certainly be due to individual variability, take a
look at normal values and variability of alpha in studies that have used
large samples, and compare those published values to the values you are
getting. One question to consider is whether you see this giant peak for
one person at channel-level and at ICA-level, and whether the peak is
stronger with ICA. Another question is what the range of values is for
other individuals' alpha peaks. Last, try to double check your raw data,
both it it's continuous form, and with only "clean" epochs, in order to
determine whether the individual's data is normal at that level compared to
the data from other people.