[Eeglablist] how to merge the behavior data into eeg dataset?

Tarik S Bel-Bahar tarikbelbahar at gmail.com
Sat Apr 11 08:35:49 PDT 2015

Greetings Yuanjun, Hoping the notes below are useful to you. Cheers!

It depends on what kind of behavioral data you mean. Please remember the
eeglab online documentation, previous articles that use the method you want
to use, and to try asking google. Here right below are some links I found
on the first page of google results after searching for "event information
eeglab". Please check them out if you have not had a chance to yet, they
should be useful to you.
http://sccn.ucsd.edu/wiki/A02:_Importing_Event_Epoch_Info
http://sccn.ucsd.edu/wiki/Chapter_03:_Event_Processing
http://sccn.ucsd.edu/wiki/A05:_Data_Structures

Usually, researchers have information per each single trial
that specifies the kind of stimuli, the kind of responses that happened,
and/or other information.  You could do this with eeglab in at least three
ways. Some of these methods require some matlab coding on your part.

One way would be to add the information to event fields for each epoch.
Then you can, for example, sort the trials with the erpimage function using
the single-trial information. You can also then, do new epoching based on
that behavioral information.

Another way would be to create a study that has conditions or groups that
are related to your behavioral data (for example, the angry condition and
the sad condition, or the high performing and low performing groups). Then
you would be able to view the data in eeglab study, convolved with the
behavioral data dimensions you have chosen to focus on.

Another way is to use matlab to have a structure of information that
contains all your "behavioral" information, that you can relate to
continuous or epoched eeglab file you have in memory. This depends on your
ability to work inside matlab to coordinate the information. Once you have
estimates from eeglab for single trials, or per participant, then you can
compute the eeglab metrics (for single trials or single files) and then
compare to the behavioral information you have within matlab, using your
own matlab codes.

It's not clear what the "soft of SCAN" is ?

If you have advanced behavioral data such as motion capture, consider the
MOBI eeglab toolbox from Ojeda.