[Eeglablist] ICA component rejection

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Fri Jul 24 11:46:32 PDT 2015

Dear Raju,

Sorry to tell you this but the 21 ICs are all noise.

I strongly recommend you perform preprocess again. Read this page and check
the steps. You may want to consider using PREP pipeline by Nima
Bigdely-Shamlo (described in the wiki).
http://sccn.ucsd.edu/wiki/Makoto's_preprocessing_pipeline

Good ICs are determined by
1. Dipolarity of the IC scalp maps (see Delorme et al. 2012 PLoS One)
2. Frequency power spectrum of the ICs
3. ERP or ERSP (if available)
Note this kind of evaluation (or interpretaion) is dependent on the
experimental paradigms.

Also, remember 'Garbage in, Garbege out'; if the experimental design is
screwed up, you don't get EEG even if you use the fanciest preprocessing
methods.

Makoto