[Eeglablist] Re-referencing before or after creating bi-polar HEOG and VEOG channel

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Wed Jul 29 12:02:24 PDT 2015

Dear Melissa,

Re-referencing is one of the things I'm getting less and less confident.

If you say you will analyze EEG signal with ICA to the end (i.e.,
group-level statistics), referencing is not a serious problem, as long as
you properly remove bad channels before average referencing. That's all I
know. So my personal recommendation is, perform average reference and use
ICA (do not forget to discard one channel or reduce data dimension by one
before ICA after average referencing; see
http://sccn.ucsd.edu/wiki/Makoto's_preprocessing_pipeline).

Otherwise, you should read these papers carefully and decide what to do.

Dien J. 1998. Issues in the application of the average reference: Review,
critiques, and recommendations.*Behavior Research Methods, Instruments, and
Computers* 30: 34-43.

DeZhong Yao's REST: http://www.neuro.uestc.edu.cn/rest/

Nima Bigdely-Shamlo's PREP pipeline:
http://journal.frontiersin.org/article/10.3389/fninf.2015.00016/abstract

FYI, Joseph concluded that one should use average reference if good number
of channels are available. Nima told me that DeZong Yao's REST is a smart
solution. One of the conclusions from Nima's paper is that you should
choose clean channels to perform average referencing.

Makoto