[Eeglablist] EEG data processing questions

Stephen Politzer-Ahles spa268 at nyu.edu
Wed Aug 26 01:26:20 PDT 2015

Hi Emmanuelle,

Windows of 1 second are pretty short, and keep in mind that there will be
frequency issues near the edges (for example, if you use a filter, then
even if you don't re-concatenate the epochs, there will be filter artifacts
introduced at the edges of the epoch). So the usable window of analysis,
practically speaking, is even shorter than 1 second.

Do you actually need to segment the recording? I work in event-related
potentials, so I'm not familiar with what is standard for analyzing data
without events/epochs. But it seems to me like it might be better to just
run your time-frequency decomposition on the continuous data, and then in
later analysis (for example, if you want to average across timepoints over
the entire recording---if there were no stimulus events, then maybe time is
meaningless anyway) just ignore timepoints that are close to artifacts (you
can mark artifacts in the continuous data, without actually removing the
data, before running the time-frequency decomposition).

Best,
Steve

Stephen Politzer-Ahles
New York University, Abu Dhabi