[Eeglablist] Subjects comparison when ICA components rejection was not the same

Tarik S Bel-Bahar tarikbelbahar at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 14:16:08 PDT 2015

Hello Emmanuelle, Hoping all is well. some thoughts below that should help.
Best wishes!

For your purposes, I would suggest sticking with one set of methods for all
your participants, as it is not usually acceptable to process some
participants one way, and some another. I would recommend doing normal
(non-ICA) cleaning of all participants, and showing the results that way.
After that, run the analyses within ICA, for only those participants who
did have good ICs. It all depends on how many participants total you have,
and how many you can "drop" for one reason or another. Finally , you may
want to confirm for yourself that statistics actually change for one
participant with and without the ICA cleaning.

-if people don't blink or move their eyes during eyes closed rest, then we
should not expect ICA to "find" such things. In the future, consider having
people give you  a series of sample blinks, movements, etc.. This will make
it easier for ICA rejection, or similar methods that need some "information
about artifacts".

-some researchers take an IC-artifact template from other studies and
"apply it" to new data. This works to some degree because at least eye
artifacts are quite stereotypical.

You're right, ICA methods and their deployment are still in development,
and usually only the beginning of the process is well-delineated. The most
advanced or current methods can usually be found in articles, or within
in-house methods in various labs.
You might also want to look at automated processing pipelines discussed on
this list, such as the TAPEEG toolbox, and another recent one from Kothe,
Bigdely-Shamlo et al.  See also the wide range of ICA-rejection toolboxes
including ICMARC and SASICA.

-Some data just does not give great ICA decompositions, for various
reasons.

-The small amount of time you have for ICA is likely impacting the quality
of your ICA decompositions. It's better to have closer to a half hour or
more, though many people try to use ICA on short periods.

-It also depends on how many channels you have. 64 chans or better is
recommended for ICA, though many people have published ICA and microstate
results with 32 channels.