[Eeglablist] Cleanline and Basic FIR filter

Eric HG erichg2013 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 11:16:36 PDT 2015

Hi everyone,

I have some questions about both cleanline and the basic FIR filter:

1) Do you have any recommendation about which one should be used first? At
the moment I'm doing this (cleanline first and then bandpass filtering):

[EEG, Sorig, Sclean, f, amps, freqs, g] = pop_cleanline(EEG,
'Bandwidth',2,'ChanCompIndices',[1:EEG.nbchan], ...

'SignalType','Channels','ComputeSpectralPower',true,             ...
                          'LineFrequencies',[50 100]
,'NormalizeSpectrum',false,           ...

'LineAlpha',0.01,'PaddingFactor',2,'PlotFigures',false,          ...

'ScanForLines',true,'SmoothingFactor',100,'VerboseOutput',1,    ...

'SlidingWinLength',EEG.pnts/EEG.srate,'SlidingWinStep',EEG.pnts/EEG.srate);

EEG = pop_eegfiltnew(EEG, 1, 70, 1650, 0, [], 1);

2) I'm doing the filtering before epoching the data (on continuous data).
Can that lead to any problem with the filtering?
In cleanline: Both the 'SlidingWinLength' and 'SlidingWinStep' are the
length of the recording. However, the 'SmootingFactor is 100, which
shouldn't matter when the window length = EEG length.

3) Is there an easy way to figure out the filter order for pop_eegfiltnew?
The current 1650 is just what was decided through the GUI.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Best,

Eric