[Eeglablist] contrast single-condition ersp/erp with baseline/zero: statistics

Simon Ruch simon.ruch at psy.unibe.ch
Tue Sep 15 01:25:08 PDT 2015

Hello

I would like to contrast my evoked potentials/perturbations against the
pre-stimulus baseline, respectively against zero (for baseline corrected
data). I would like to perform significance tests that tell me
where/when/at what frequencies the signal peaks. My basic question is:
what ERP/ERSP does my sound presented during sleep evoke? To compute
statistics, eeglab requires two conditions. How can I perform a
one-sample test against zero or the baseline?

My approach so far:
I created a dummy dataset as zero-control condition for each
participant. In this dataset:  EEG.data(:,:,:) = 0. I used these
datasets to create a repeated measures study design (stimulus vs. zero
condition) and precomputed study parameters. In the spectral data
generated for the control condition files (*.datersp), I replaced all
NaNs with zeros and set the baseline (chanX_erspbase) to the baseline of
the real data of the respective participant. This allowed me to perform
tests against the baseline for both ERPs and ERSPs

While this works fine, I was wondering if there is an easier and more
elegant approach to what I want.

Kind regards
Simon Ruch

*Simon Ruch, Dr. phil.*
University of Bern
Department of Psychology, Division of Experimental Psychology and
Neuropsychology
Center for Cognition, Learning and Memory (CCLM)
Office A 362
Fabrikstrasse 8
CH-3012 Bern
Switzerland