[Eeglablist] Detrending segmented data before ICA

Yamil Vidal Dos Santos hvidaldossantos at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 04:50:34 PDT 2015

Hi all,
I have a question regarding getting data ready for ICA.
As one factor that affects the quality of an ICA decomposition is the
stationarity of the data, I decided to segment and detrend my data before
running ICA. But I have read that if one would run ICA on segmented data,
one should have a long enough baseline and/or should not remove baseline.
This sounds strange to me, because as far as I know, ICA is not concerned
about time. Furthermore, data is whitened before running ICA. Doesn't this
imply a baseline removal?

My concrete question is about the usefulness of detrending to improve data
stationarity before ICA, but any clarifications about how to improve the
chances of getting a good ICA decomposition will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Yamil