[Eeglablist] ICA component

Tarik S Bel-Bahar tarikbelbahar at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 12:47:09 PDT 2015

Hello Dorian, if you're new to eeg analysis, please go thorugh the whole
eeglab tutorial using the provided sample data. Also you would benefit from
other basic resources (such as Luck's book Introduction to Event-related
potentials and Onton & Makeig's chapter in Luck's Handbook of Event-Related
Components). Please also be sure to search for and review past postings on
the eeglablist, and make use of the many tutorials and introductions for
beginner students that can be found online to EEG and ERP techniques.

"Trials" in the paragraph refers to "segments" or "epochs", the "pieces"
that the continuous data is often broken into, usually locked to the onset
of a stimulus in experiments with many "trials" of "stimulus-presentation".

The approximate number of necessary samples of EEG is a rule of thumb, and
biased towards longer data. ICA needs enough information about what's going
on to separate valid spatial patterns. ICA has a big stomach.

>From what you are saying, it does not seem you have long enough data to do
a proper ICA decompisition. However, there are many published articles
where people do ICA on very short periods and consider them valid. You can
find these by searching on Google Scholar.