[Eeglablist] Merging ICA components

Jenson, Dave djenson1 at uthsc.edu
Tue Jan 19 10:33:32 PST 2016

All,

Does anyone know how to merge components from an ICA decomposition into a single component?  I am running a study on the sensorimotor mu rhythm, and I have a few subjects for whom ICA produces multiple potential components.  At the moment I am choosing the best component per subject based on scalp map, spectra, and dipole location.  However, I still have a few subjects for whom there is no clear winner.  I don't want to lose statistical power by excluding a component that represents the sensorimotor mu, but also don't want to disproportionately weight some subjects over others at the study level by including multiple components.  Is there a way to 1) merge components or 2) overcome this problem in a different manner?

-Dave Jenson