[Eeglablist] Independent component classification help from eeglablist members

Luca Pion-Tonachini lpionton at ucsd.edu
Thu Feb 4 17:15:58 PST 2016

Dear EEGLAB mailing list subscribers,

I would like to ask for your help on a project that will likely be of
use to you in your research or any other endeavor involving ICA
decomposition of EEG data. I am an Electrical Engineering Ph.D. student
at UCSD and I work at the Swartz Center for Computational Neuroscience,
where EEGLAB is developed.

Here at the SCCN, we have gathered a lot of ICA decomposed EEG data. My
plan is to use it to create a multi-class EEG independent component (IC)
classifier, one you can run and trust the results as much as if a domain
expert had personally labeled them for you. The secret to making such a
classifier accurate is in the data used to train it. Including results
from many different experiments, electrode montages, subjects, and EEG
devices — as well as tentative classifications by many judges — should
allow a level of generalization that makes the resulting classifier
usable on any dataset. A lot of people I’ve spoken with are excited by
this prospect, as I hope you are too.

If you are interested in participating in this project, please browse
this website <reaching.ucsd.edu:8000/tutorial> (
http://reaching.ucsd.edu:8000 ) and suggest classifications for as many
ICs as you have time for. Each IC is represented by a figure showing
several measures (scalp map, equivalent dipole location, mean spectrum,
erpimage, etc.). There is a tutorial on the site that will tell you more
about the project and how to use it — and also a guide to discriminating
several types of EEG IC processes.

If you have comments, questions, or suggestions, please give me feedback
through the website or at this email address. We will make use of all
data entries, regardless of how many get labeled — and each IC you label
will make the classifier more useful.

Thank you,
Luca Pion-Tonachini