[Eeglablist] ICA after PCA

Iman Mohammad-Rezazadeh irezazadeh at ucdavis.edu
Thu Apr 21 12:10:04 PDT 2016

Thanks Makoto. I think I understand that if you apply PCA and picked the first 30 components from it then your K-factor is increased , since you have 30 PCA signals – instead of 100ch.
However:

1)      Picking up the first 30 PCA components would not let you to reconstruct the data perfectly!

2)      If you apply ICA to those 30 PCA signals ( not the original 100ch data) then you will have 30 ICA sources. But what is the relationship btw each ICA source and original recording? In other words, how can you back-project each ICA source to the original recording montage ( ie , 100ch) ? After performing PCA and later ICA , the (un)mixing matrix dimension is 30 x 30 not 100 x 100. Thus, I am still confused how the outcome IC maps after PCA+ICA would be meaningful !

Iman