[Eeglablist] Eigenvalues generation

Matt Gerhold matt.gerhold at gmail.com
Tue May 3 12:09:01 PDT 2016

Hi,

One would compute the eigenvalues for the autoregressive parameter
matrix--your estimated beta coefficients. This would be to assess the
stability of the system. One only needs to compute these eigenvalues for
this matrix; nothing more nothing less... Then take the modulus of the
eigenvalues, they should all be less than one. Following Lutkepohl (2005),
a simple way to do this is:

if A = autoregressive parameters (K x K), where K is number of
data-channels:

>> eig_vals = abs(diag(jordan(A))) % jordan canonical form of A
>> eig_vals < 1 % should give a vector of 1's if the system is stable

Regards,

Matthew