[Eeglablist] EEGLAB in GNU Octave 4

embar at super.lt embar at super.lt
Fri Jun 3 00:41:31 PDT 2016

Hi,

As GNU Octave 4.0 uses GUI by default, and James provided some tips,
someone with permissions should update EEGLAB wiki, e.g.
http://sccn.ucsd.edu/wiki/EEGLAB_and_supercomputing_applications_using_free_alternatives_to_Matlab#EEGLAB_and_Octave_graphics

I wish, that next EEGLAB version (14) would officially support GNU Octave,
including GUI functionality. Also, I am curious about current state of
progress.

--
Regards

> That’s great James. If you could take the lead on that, that would be
fantastic.
> Do you have a Bitbuclet ID to submit your changes?
>
> Arno
>
> > On Sep 17, 2015, at 2:58 PM, James Desjardins <jdesjardins at
brocku.ca> wrote:

> > Hi Arno et al.,
> >
> > Looking into running EEGLab GUI in Octave it seems that the critical
changes needed are pretty trivial. I just commented out any instance
of...

> > if ~ismatlab,return; end;
> >
> > ... in eeglab.m. Then correcting an array orientation sensitivity in
Octave's findobj.m (this was the only thing stopping inputgui.m from
working).

> > I posted a 7 minute demo video on SHARCNet's youtube channel here
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npz2pBIc9CU>. The demonstration is
performed on one of the visualization systems at SHARCNet.

> > There are still pages and pages of warning messages in the command
line when working with EEGLab GUI in Octave, and there are some clear
performance reductions from Matlab. Octave should also be able to run
PropertyGrid GUIs, but I have not worked through the bugs there yet.

> > I think that given this new version of Octave it may be worth testing
in Octave while developing GUIs in EEGLab.