[Eeglablist] ABR Latency - Headphones

Herbert J Gould (hgould) hgould at memphis.edu
Wed Jul 6 10:57:02 PDT 2016

ABR stimuli is typically a 100 microsecond electrical square wave presented through Entymotic ER 3a earphones.  The earphone has a polyurethane tube to create a time delay of .8 msec between the onset of the square wave and the arrival of the sound at the ear.  This avoids the stimulus artifact that you obtain with earphones that are directly covering the ear.    This combination will result in a acoustic click centered in the 2 to 4  kHz region arriving at the cochlea once earphone, ear canal and middle ear resonance is taken into account.   You can obtain the ER 3a with several different ohm ratings so be sure to match it to your equipment.

Herbert Jay Gould, Ph.D.
Associate Professor

The University of Memphis School of Communication Sciences and Disorders
4055 N. Park Loop
Memphis, TN 38152

901.678.5837 | memphis.edu/csd<http://memphis.edu/csd>

Hgould at Memphis.edu<mailto:Hgould at Memphis.edu>

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.