[Eeglablist] ICA after PREP pipeline incl channel interpolation

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Fri Aug 19 17:34:46 PDT 2016

Dear Alexandra,

> (Minor question: At this point I do not baseline correct each epoch, is
this recommended?)

Yes, I recommend it.
https://sccn.ucsd.edu/wiki/Makoto's_preprocessing_pipeline#Epoch_data_to_-1_to_2_sec

> Here is where I am losing track. For this example, there are 116
non-interpolated channels and the data set was re-referenced to common
reference before ICA.
So I guess this might be behind the rank reduction, although I am not sure
how runica knows about this (where is such information retrieved?)

It computes rank in pop_runica() line 523 getrank().

> What precisely is used as the input data now? Any first 115 channels or
only the non-interpolated channels?

It's not the channels, but the rank of data that matters. See this.
https://sccn.ucsd.edu/wiki/Makoto's_preprocessing_pipeline#Re-reference_the_data_to_average

> What happens when the resulting (clean) components are projected back
onto channel space if some of the channels are not actually included in the
data set used to calculate the components?

All of your scalp channels will be there, so no worries.
It's just that you have less number of *independent* sources than the
number of channels. Even if you have 1 independent component, it can
project to 100 channels. In your case, you have 99 components projecting to
100 channels (i.e. one less).

Makoto