[Eeglablist] SIFT resampling surrogate distributions with 1 trial

Tim Mullen mullen.tim at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 17:19:24 PDT 2016

PS: in Matlab 2016 you can just use the autocorr() function for an
autocorrelation plot with confidence intervals.

On Thu, Aug 25, 2016 5:13 PM, Tim Mullen mullen.tim at gmail.com wrote:
Ok. Yes, as you've surmised, the key trickiness in this sort of statistical
problem is that you need to consider the autocorrelation in each time-series
(and they are definitely autocorrelated here, since the causal estimates are
obtained from a sliding window). Probably the worst thing you can do is perform
a standard unpaired t-test, which has hugely inflated Type I error rate if
samples are significantly autocorrelated.
Perhaps you could try a method like this:
Performing T-tests to Compare Autocorrelated Time Series Data Collected from
Direct-Reading Instruments. J Occup Environ Hyg. 2015;12(11):743-52. doi: 10.1080/15459624.2015.1044603. ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

Alternately, one possibility might be to compute the autocorrelation function
for each time-series and if it decays to non-significant amplitude after K lags,
then you could just select every K+1th sample for subsequent analysis. The
serial correlation should be minimal at that point (you could run a
Durbin-Watson test to confirm). Here is an example of how to use an autocorrelation plot for this. One potential issue here
(there's always one) is that the analytic confidence bounds for the null
hypothesis of zero autocorrelation generally rely on a Gaussianity assumption on
the data. The granger-causal estimates are definitely not Gaussian (probably
closer to gamma-distributed). You could try log-transforming them to render more
Gaussian -- it's a monotonic transform so it won't affect the statistics for
differences in means.
There are other more complex approaches involving fitting ARMA models (and
probably some more simple ones I'm not considering at the moment).
Tim