[Eeglablist] epochconsist treats files with only one epoch as a continuous file

Tarik S Bel-Bahar tarikbelbahar at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 13:50:13 PDT 2016

Hello Rich, some quick notes below. best wishes.

the STUDY should accept your files, but they need to be:
1 file per each condition for each subject.
Also each file needs to be epoched (so it cannot be continuous, and I
believe it needs to have at least 2 epochs, check the STUDY
documentation online).

Further you have to make sure that for each subject X condition file,.
the epochs within the file are the same length (epoch consistency
across files loaded into STUDY).
You may want to reread very closely the online eeglab STUDY
documentation, including how to look into the study structure and
where everything is stored.

For your current needs, I recommend you use eeg_regepoch (type help
eeg_regepoch)
to cut each of those 15 second chunks into 1 or 2 second chunks. Thus
there will be ~30 or 15 epochs within each file, instead of one long
chunk.
They will remain sequential and analyzable.

Further, unless you have a clear reason to use really long epochs
becuase of past published methods with a similar protocol,
it's probably best you cut up your 30 second blocks into smaller
periods, and thus you will have epochs, and thus STUDY should accept
them.
Try it this way first, and see how far you can get, then when that works,
think about how/why to work with long/single epochs.

You can also search on google scholar for people who used really long
single epochs like you with eeglab.

If you try/want to make eeglab do something it's not built to do, you
need a matlab-saavy person to build specific versions of the functions
for you.
You may also benefit from several other EEG analysis programs out
there that focus on "resting state continuous non-event-related data"