[Eeglablist] An EEG(LAB) Book in Japanese was published

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Wed Oct 19 16:04:58 PDT 2016

For those who read Japanese and do EEG,

The former Nagoya University EEG trio Atsushi Matsumoto (little guru),
Noriaki Kanayama (big errand), and Makoto Miyakoshi (sinewave surfer) have
conspired to publish an EEG book, and adding Kochiyama sensei (Japanese
Friston) and Hiraki sensei (Professor Karaoke) they recently made it.

Thank you again Scott and Arno for nice preface.

Tokyo University Press
http://www.utp.or.jp/bd/978-4-13-012111-8.html

Amazon.jp
https://www.amazon.co.jp/%E8%84%B3%E6%B3%A2%E8%A7%A3%E6%9E%
90%E5%85%A5%E9%96%80-EEGLAB%E3%81%A8SPM%E3%82%92%E4%BD%BF%
E3%81%84%E3%81%93%E3%81%AA%E3%81%99-%E6%B2%B3%E5%86%85%E5%
B1%B1-%E9%9A%86%E7%B4%80/dp/4130121111

Portal sites
https://sccn.ucsd.edu/eeglab/japanese/
https://sites.google.com/site/eeglabspmbook/home

The quote below, translated for non-Japanese readers, is taken from the
final paragraphs of the book, for your interest.

(p.216) Another reason [for EEG to gather more attention in future] is that
EEG research has received merits from progresses in computer performance,
algorithm development, and an electrophysiological forward model of the
human head. The more they advance, the more merit EEG research will
receive. Probably they will continue to advance. You can find evidence for
this in the recent history of EEG research: when a computer evolved from
16bit to 32bit in mid 90's and became capable of handling up to 4GB of RAM,
wavelet transform and ICA were applied to EEG analysis. It resulted in
breakthroughs.
       The electrophysiological forward model of human head for EEG source
localization, on the other hand, is still a minor research field today.
This could be due to a lingering influence of historical thinking that EEG
is interpretable only in correspondence with experimental manipulations in
which, to put it extreme, knowledge about brain mechanism is irrelevant
[i.e., EEG experiment has been serving as a 1-bit information generator to
return yes/no answer to the experimental question by using a fraction of
information it contains; in other words, EEG has been a pure dependent
variable that cannot be a stand-alone measure to mean anything, except
maybe for clinical EEG researchers who directly reads waveforms for
diagnosis, so that researchers were agnostic about EEG generation and tried
to stick to safe correlationism--which reminds me of Sherrington's
skepticism--, which also undermined an interest in wholistic evaluation of
EEG.] However, in near future there will be a surge of social needs in EEG
measurement to improve BMI performance in engineering and to provide health
monitoring on brain states in medicine in every home. Hopefully the rise of
the social needs push people to be more aware of the presence of this
bottleneck in the use of EEG, and hopefully more researcher will tackle the
issue of electric forward modeling using ever improving computers and
algorithms. In far future, I imagine more than 10,000 electrodes would be
permanently implemented on the surface of cortex/scalp [as of Oct 19 2016,
we have this kind of technology
http://spectrum.ieee.org/the-human-os/biomedical/devices/injectable-nanowires-monitor-mouse-brains-for-months],
and their signals be transferred wirelessly and available for anything
anytime. When such technical breakthrough takes place, critical facts
and/or techniques that drastically change our lifestyles and society may be
discovered in the EEG research field. We were born at least half a century
too early for that. Looking over the bright future of EEG research and
applications, I feel pleasure to work on problems in this the still
immature field one by one.