[Eeglablist] A non-EEGLAB question: What to do with small eigenvalues when performing data whitening in EEG artifact removal.

Seyed Mohammad Reza Shahshahni smr.shahshahani at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 22:02:27 PST 2016

Dear Makoto

Thanks for your attention. You're right. But what should I do then?
Imagine I have 10 channels of data and I want to perform ICA, find the
artifactual components, eliminate them and get back to the signal space.
This is what I know: Based on the eigenvalue decomposition of the
covariance matrix, I find the eigenvalues. I ignore small eigenvalues based
on threshold. Then what? Is it correct to ignore the corresponding channels
and go on? What if we want to check how well the algorithm works? My
problem is that in papers who have talked about artifact rejection, to my
knowledge, they have assumed full rank and have not considered such a case.

Could you please guide me through this?

Best,
Reza